Sunday, December 07, 2008

My Mom, the Kill Joy.

My mom and brother (Kuya Paul) derive this queer sense of happiness bursting the bubble of unknowing people eagerly anticipating a much awaited ending. I think they have a term for that- Sadism.

I'm not an avid fan of boxing but its part of the Filipino pride that at least you watch Manny Pacquiao fight. And it never fails that whenever there's a match, my mom would prance around the room and tell everyone that she already knows the winner, even before it begins playing on tv. And every single time, we would ask her to shut up (kindly, of course) and she would say "wala naman akong sinasabi", but would give so many hints that she practically gives the answer away.

This time, I was quite relieved to learn that my mom and dad had a lunch date with a family friend, thus, I could watch the fight in peace. However, just when the game was about to begin, they arrived. I felt a bit safe because my mom would have no means of knowing the results. She's been out of the house and has no means of getting a "leak".

I went to her to make "mano" and she told me that there's something going on with her phone and that I should check it. Then she showed me a text message from my aunt in the states stating the winner of the match. She did this, WITHOUT WARNING.

And that's how she ruined my Sunday afternoon.

No comments: