Thursday, March 24, 2005

Cupid's Arch Enemy # 1

It’s 2:10 am. I have just put down the phone after 4 full hours of talking with G. We had a lot of catching up to do. Of course, it’s only been a month since we last went out (see A cold January evening: a date with gen and brad for details) and apparently, things have been moving well for her. Finally, my darling girlfriend has gotten over her “commitment” issues. I found it hard to believe at first when she told me she’s now ready to take the plunge head first into the relationship pool but after the shock has worn off, relief and happiness took over. This is big… no, gargantuan. This is G, for crying out loud! People who know her well know that at the first sign of a serious relationship, she would run toward the opposite direction faster than you can say hello. Now, she does not only enter the complex web of love but is embracing the entire thing with no questions at all.

At least she’s in love.

In this day and age, I think that falling in love is but a cliché if not a once in a blue moon event. I don’t know. As cynical as It may seem, I cannot look at a couple without thinking, “I’m sure they’re just faking it” or “they’ll break up, sooner or later.” With some rare exceptions/ conditions (like my parents’ relationship), I’m quite sure that nothing lasts forever. I just can’t imagine myself being with someone for over a decade, swallowing all his faults, forgiving all his shortcomings. It’s asking too much. But then again, maybe I’m just used to getting things my way, not asking anyone’s opinions on anything more important than an event’s wardrobe. Maybe after the “death” of a relationship, I resurrected… as a relationship hating biatch.

Oh well, you can’t have everything. Besides, I am enjoying my life as a single, independent, not to mention, relationship- mocking not-a-girl-not-yet-a-woman. I am relishing this moment when I can laugh at G (Formerly Samantha) because she has turned into this dopey eyed lover girl, missing her Lucifer who is out having fun at his hacienda in Batangas. I’ve been there before and all I can say is, good luck G *maniacal laugh*.

And thoughts of tenderness come rushing in.

Susy and Geno, one of the rare exceptions of truly falling in love, just celebrated their anniversary. The cutest couple went out to have facial together. How cute is that? Aaaw, we love them. They are like innocent kindergarten students. Do you still remember preschool? Oooh, that was fun. Every recess, we had to form a line (boys and girls are separated) and the one who happens to be at the same position in the line will be our “buddy” who gets to hold our hand. During one of our fieldtrips, I got to sit beside Arm___ Mat__ (am i great with name recall, or what?), my kindergarten classmate. Since the school was teaching us to be independent, they put all our guardians/ parents/ yayas on the other bus. I remember crying my heart out, asking for my yaya Lila. My seatmate, Arm__ Mat___, offered to give his choco mallows and orange juice (Zesto was really big that time) so that I would stop crying. Being a scrawny kid who didn’t really realize the value of a good offer, I turned his choco mallows and juice down. I only stopped crying at the puppet show ( i think that was staged in UP) when finally, i saw my cute yaya, with her arms wide open, holding a Good Morning towel in her hand, ready to wipe my snot away.

Anyway, I’ve digressed enough that I actually forgot my point. (After 10 minutes) The thing is, why can’t I have a relationship like that? No frills, no lying, just pure cute love. Before, it was so easy to be happy, to forgive and to fall in love. I mean, nobody knows the words depression, it’s over, breaking up, and you lying sonofa, when you’re 5, right? God, I’m 20 and I’m feeling the weight of post- teenage angst. I don’t feel like 10 things I Hate About You anymore. Now it’s more of Reality Bites, with real problems and harder solutions. Now that we’ve grown up, it takes more than choco mallows, orange juice and my Yaya Lila to make me stop crying. Life is one big, scary playground.

No comments: