Sunday, September 16, 2007

From Cruise to Snooze

I could have in the middle of the Caribbean Sea, watching the sunset and hearing the laughter and nonsensical chatters of people in different languages aboard a fabulous cruise ship. Ten minutes after, I’m off serving food to these foreign people or watching their foreheads sweat while I deal a new hand in poker. Yes, I could have been the head of the food and beverage department or a poker dealer sailing away for two months in a ship and seeing all the continents (is that possible?). Not as professional as I dreamt to be but high paying and exciting, nonetheless.

Instead, I am stuck in the corporate world, kissing the asses of the 3000 clients, making them happy as possible.

How in the world can a UP Graduate with Business Economics degree get a job offer as a food server and a casino dealer? Well, it’s called business connections.

Way, way back when I was just a member of the accounts management team and quota was just a cuss word I hear from the sales department, I used to handle calls from this HR guy who really liked my voice. He used to email me good morning messages, make bola on the phone, ask if I ate merienda already and its so funny because he’s someone you really wouldn’t take seriously. Having piqued my interest, I started snooping around through friendster (whose account I couldn’t find) and via our messenger Paul the Choker Boy.

Here’s the funny thing. I asked Paul the Choker Boy if he already saw this HR guy and said yes, and said he’s actually good looking. Tall, even (though I sure wouldn’t believe him considering he’s pixie sized and everyone else is already a giant to him). He said this HR guy was also asking how I looked, and he said “okay lang.

OKAY LANG??? Dude, where’s your loyalty? I only say ‘okay lang’ on some very few occasions I don’t want to sound mean. I’m no great beauty but you could have told him “okay naman” which conveys a totally different message. But no…

Anyway, that’s over. Hehe. He just recently touch based with me again, now at a different company (the ship company) asking if I was interested to apply in a cruise ship. Again, in some very few occasions when I am happy with my job, I told him thanks but no thanks.

…and that’s how it ended, my almost future employment as a food server and casino dealer.

Nyanyanyanyanya….

No comments: