Sunday, February 12, 2012

Of Spotless Mind and Mindless Sleep

My back is hurting from too much sleeping.

I still can't believe that I fell asleep while taking my exam. I blame it on my failure to drink coffee that morning, which I attributed to waking up late, which was due to, uhm, no. I don't want to go there. It's my happy place and I would never regret staying up late.

So, F*CK it.

Anyway, I spent most of my Saturday sleeping. It's not as if 12 hours of sleep can magically erase all the eyebags, carefully acquired over 20 years of unhealthy lifestyle (I've had these dark eyebags since I was in 2nd Grade). I even forgot to wash my face or even make it to my bed (I fell asleep on the sofa).

Apart from taking my test, I was able to make my Saturday kind of productive by watching one of my favorite movies of all time, Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind, which is a perfect way to spend my Valentines week.

This movie is brilliant, from the plot, to the cinematography, to the story telling. Not to mention the actors. Michel Gondry (Director and writer) is a genius. Unfortunately, he failed to recreate the same magic with The Science of Sleep. But that's alright, Gael Garcia Bernal was super hot in this movie (though not as drool worthy as Y Tu Mama Tambien).

So here are some of my favorite lines from the movie:

[Mary reads to Dr. Mierzwiak out of "Bartlett's Familiar Quotations"; the lines are from Alexander Pope's poem "Eloisa to Abelard"]
Mary: How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.

Clementine: Too many guys think I'm a concept, or I complete them, or I'm gonna make them alive. But I'm just a fucked-up girl who's lookin' for my own peace of mind; don't assign me yours.
Joel: I remember that speech really well.
Clementine: I had you pegged, didn't I?
Joel: You had the whole human race pegged.
Clementine: Hmm. Probably.
Joel: I still thought you were gonna save my life... even after that.
Clementine: Ohhh... I know.
Joel: It would be different, if we could just give it another go-round.
Clementine: Remember me. Try your best; maybe we can.

Joel: [voice over] random thoughts for Valentine's day, 2004. Today is a holiday invented by greeting card companies to make people feel like crap.

Joel: What a loss to spend that much time with someone, only to find out that she's a stranger.

Yes. I love, love, love this movie.

(Source: www.imdb.com)

No comments: