Monday, September 19, 2011

The Best Laid Plans

Imagine how much God’s grace can do for one person.

My state today is the lightest I’ve been for months. I just came from a very fulfilling weekend with family and friends. I am overflowing with so much positive energy that I’ve actually forgotten why I was depressed in the first place. I can honestly say that my happiness is not superficial: it’s a joy that’s coming from a very good place.

The Ground Work:

12:40am, Sunday morning, I was readying myself to fall asleep when I heard my phone ring and Legolas’ smirking face appeared. Answering with a disgruntled hello, Legolas replied, “Banana, simba tayo bukas.” Apparently, he watched an end of the world video via youtube that shook him to his core. Given that it was his birthday and his cutie GF, Arwen* was on duty, I said yes, not knowing that instead of me doing him a favor, he was actually the one giving me a priceless gift—the gift of God’s word.

I had no expectations or reservations about going to a Christian Church. If you knew me, I’ve never been the religious type. However, I want to believe that I have a personal relationship with God. With all the emotional turmoil that I have been experiencing, I heeded Geejay and CeeLo’s advice to turn to God. Thanks to Legolas, I had the perfect venue.

Even before I entered the church, I was given a handout on overcoming depression and disappointments. The topic of the service was spot on. It was about turning negative emotions into blessings. For the past few weeks, whenever I would whine, my friends would tell me to count my blessings. I heard this not once but one too many times that it has become cliché. However, listening to real-life struggles by other people helped me appreciate this adage more. It was like I was given a brand new ear to listen and a clear mind to digest its meaning. For a full hour, I feel, no, I knew God was speaking to me, especially through the following verses:

Lamentations 3:21-26

“But this I call to mind; therefore I have hope. The Lord’s loyal kindness never ceases; His compassions never end. They are fresh every morning; Your faithfulness is abundant! My portion is the Lord,” I have said to myself, so I will put my hope in Him. The Lord is good to those who trust in Him, to the one who seeks Him. It is good to wait patiently for deliverance from the Lord.”

It took all my strength to choke back my tears. It was just beautiful.

When I left that morning, the message was crystal clear.

All the happiness and challenges that we encounter are like bricks on the path that would bring us closer to the realization of God’s plan for us. Tread with joy, enjoy the journey and put your complete trust in HIM.

(to be continued)

No comments: