Sunday, April 10, 2005

All is Fair in Love and Bureaucracy

Now I know what irks me.

Yesterday, I went to Megamall with my ultimate date pals, Tubby and Queer (POX-y Cleopatra no more). While mulling over San Miguel Draft and the driest sisig this side of the planet, I started sharing my frustrations regarding my attempt to get an SSS id and NBI clearance. This started a debate with Queer and 20 minutes of anger management.

The Scoop

Since I have a lunch date with G at 1 pm, I had to wake up early to accomplish the needed employment requirements. Together with my mom and dad, I hauled my sorry ass to Frisco to apply for an SSS id. Apparently, that branch relocated to another branch just within the vicinity. We then went to the new building and alas, it is still in the process of moving. My mom was pissed (of course) because she thinks it was highly irresponsible to close the old building when the new one is still under construction. We then went to SSS’ main office located at East Ave. and spent 20 minutes looking for its entrance (because all car entrances were locked). Wasting precious minutes, my mom and I decided to let my dad park somewhere else and walk our way inside the building. At the front gate of the building, we were greeted by a screaming guard telling everyone that only people who will be paying their accounts are allowed inside. A-ha! The culprit: the four- day work day for government offices. Great… So I woke up early, harassed my parents to drive me there and ended up accomplishing nothing. That’s my pissed off story number 1.

Moral of the Story: I am not digging this 4-day work day… it might be applicable to other government agencies but considering that this is a service oriented department, it should have thought of its customers first, their convenience, their schedule, their time. Apparently, the government is concerned with the amount of money it will save but not the repercussions. I am totally for the cost-cutting measure, just as long as the QUALITY of the service is not compromised.


Next Stop, City Hall. I was crossing my fingers, hoping that the offices are open, and thank God, they were. Only thing is, I had to line up for several hours to get my NBI clearance. Imagine this: a hundred or so people, sweaty people, waiting in line under the punishing heat of the sun, most of them speaking loudly because just like me, they hate government inefficiency. I was pissed, in heat, sweaty, hungry and late for my movie date with G. And having my mom with me for the first few hours, shouting my name and ordering me what to do is just the icing on my razor cake. You know how I hate crowds, hate being bossed around, hate the heat, hate lines, and hate inefficiency. That day was pure hell for me.

SO, going back to my story. I was ranting about these things when Queer told me that he was actually in favor of the 4-day work day thing. I contradicted his statements by telling him all the repercussions of this policy and things got heated and literal (with me using a bad example and Queer taking it at face value). Knowing us, it was normal to debate on a lot of things. We have no problems with that. Things took an ugly turn when Queer and Tubby started talking about instances when corruption is accepted, and when money can be used to leverage a person’s standing. That hit a nerve, not only because of my excruciating experience with bureaucracy but because ever since I was a kid, the thought of getting ahead of others (through the person’s smart ways or the other person’s stupidity) does not sit well with me.

I have problems with corruption. I HATE IT. The reason, I think, that it’s so prevalent in our country is because we tend to tolerate it and even succumb to it. Maybe it’s just me… I have always hated the idea of people abusing their power/ wealth to get ahead of others. Heck, I have difficulty in accepting the “save” concept (saving a person space in a line even when he’s not there). I mean, people behind you have gained unwanted varicose veins and an additional 2 inches in their calf muscles from lining up while you can just barge in, late as ever, and accomplish everything without breaking a sweat. That, in my opinion, is not a case of playing it fair.

I guess my dad’s principles rubbed on me. For him, money is not everything… yes, its easier to pay your way to getting what you want, if you have the money, why not? But try putting yourself in the other person’s shoes, one who does not have a lot of money to make the system work for him. Again, you can counter that it’s their choice, it’s their fault for not working hard enough. But then again, that’s not always true. Sometimes, even if you’re working your ass off, you only get enough money to feed the family, hence, not enough money to pay for “express” services.

I hate unfairness, I hate corruption. I value other people’s opinion if they think these things are alright and acceptable but I’d rather not discuss those opinions. Condoning these things, I think I can tolerate, but flat out encouraging them is something I can’t handle. I don’t think I ever will.

One more time: I hate lining up, I hate crowds, I hate government inefficiency. But as much as I abhor these things, I have to face them, just like the other people. Why not? We’re all the same, anyway.

No comments: