I think im the only person not watching Pinoy Big Brother.
Most people i know have strong opinions on this new hit show by ABS CBN. its either they love it or totally hate it. I, on the otherhand, have none.
I would like to be objective on the issue so i tried watching, eavesdropping, reading about it. In fairness, the show has a lot of addictive substance to it. There's an FHM model babe who says DUDE like there's no tomorrow. There's the Middle Eastern expat who talks funny and acts even funnier. There's the teacher who nobody cares about. The flamboyantly flirty girl, the handsome toothpaste model and other interesting characters. And yes, there's "big brother" who tries in vain to remain anonymous/ mysterious. There's no point actually, considering everybody knows he's Lauren Dyogi anyway.
So aside from making fun of the housemates (making them wear Showgirl costumes, whats up with that?), what else does this show do?
Just like any other reality shows, Pinoy Big Brother reveals how people act when they know they're being watched, and how they act when they think that nobody's watching.
True colors. The 21st Century Filipinos. Lots of kissing, Sex innuendo 24/7. backstabbing. Tongue lashing. This is telenovela at its finest. I cant blame people for watching it. There's this guilty pleasure in seeing Pinoy taboos being shown mercilessly on tv.
On the other hand, i understand people who hate this show too. Seriously, it has no moral values, this is purely for entertainment purposes only. Heck if i were a parent, i would have sent my poor kids to their rooms. couples kissing. bah.
I hate to sound hypocritical but i really think its 'masagwa' to see Pinoy couples french kissing onscreen. I dont think it suites them although i'm aware that Filipino youth has reached that point of sexual awakening. Im conservative at heart though i dont look like it. I guess not everybody's ready for this show yet.
But when is the right time to expose the new Pinoys to the old conservative? I dont know. All i know is that this show, no matter how addictive it may be, doesnt sit well with me.
morality and Political correctness are aging me into a sour wine.
No comments:
Post a Comment