I am a full blown working girl.
I live in toxicity, financial distress, and office routine... and it’s barely 2 months since I started.
Okay, before you get any negative thoughts inside your head, let me say that I am enjoying myself tremendously. My officemates are great, my job isn’t as hard as I thought it would be and I feel great power earning my own money. It’s just that sometimes, the world conspires to hate me.
MONDAY
First day of the working week.
I woke up early because I had anticipated that Monday is a horrible day for the commuting public, and that includes moi. I've already calculated my entire journey to makati and I am dang sure that if I leave at 6:30, I would arrive at the office at around 7:30-7:45, giving me some time to lounge and get myself in the right groove. NOT THAT MONDAY.
What are the chances that the jeep I rode would stop 5 times, wasting 2 minutes every time, just so he could get as much passenger as he can? And what about my FX getting ticketed for loading at an unloading zone? I've been riding an FX at that same exact spot for more than a month and never did that happen (and it shouldn’t have, I found out the day after.) And yes, the ever reliable MRT getting stranded for 20 minutes? Oh, wait til you hear about the Ayala Loop gaining a loooong line for the first time since I started working. And just like icing on top of the cake, it rained hard when God knows I hated bringing an umbrella. When I got inside the building, it took forever for the elevator to arrive. For the first time in my career, I was late. A MINUTE late, to be exact.
TUESDAY
I got up early, not wanting to be late again. I woke up at the right side of the bed and was giddy with happiness. I had a date with my friends at Mang Jimmy's, our favorite short order place. I had the drive to make it through the day, even had a nice mood going to our weekly team meeting. Just when I was about to leave the office, my boss made us do a forced overtime to help the other team with its account. It was fine; I seriously had no problems with that. I called up Tubby to tell her that I was going to be late. While I was busy putting IDs inside the envelope, I dropped the entire box containing a hundred or so alphabetically arranged IDs. I had to bear the sorry look I got from my officemate, the embarrassment I incurred from my crush and the additional lag time to get to my dinner date. I felt like crying. I am such a baby.
An hour and a half later, I arrived at Mang Jimmy’s. It was the same as I remembered it to be, with chickens running all over the place and that strong smell of scrumptious ulam seemingly sticking to my dress. I love it. My friends, from the onset of our meeting, gave me a very “perk squad-ish” remark. I was wearing my striped pantsuit (my corpo attire for the day) and suddenly, Queer said, “Bigla kong naalala ang Madagascar.”
I haven’t seen the movie so I didn’t quite get the joke. He offered me an explanation. I was wearing a Zebra like suit. Right.
Then the food arrived. All the good food was there. Sizzling sisig with mayonnaise, tapa mix, lechong kawali and my favorite sizzling (as BA caf would call it, Zizzling) tuna belly. Yum. Of course, I told them why I was late. Instead of gaining a single stroke of sympathy, all they could ever muster doing was to laugh at my clumsiness. I’m not exactly known for my grace, you know. As tubby would so accurately put it, “ AM, hanggang ngayon ba naman, ikaw pa rin ang gumagawa ng komosyon?” hahaha. Of course.
Since most of us are working already (except for Wowowee Queer and Arneo Law-bound Tubby), we decided to have an early night. We left Mang Jimmy’s at 10:30 and promised to see each other at Queer’s bday bash. Disco itoh! (that was sooooo 70’s) Can I just say, I missed Anime horribly. Before that night, the last time I saw him was during our Grad day.
Wednesday
Too tired from the other night’s gimmick-but-not-really-gimmick, I was tired to do anything for the day. I was toxic from all the work I was doing plus I was really out of focus for most of the day. Aside from that, I made a huge booboo too. I had to work overtime too. Again, it was fine since I don’t have anything productive to do at home (except watch CSI) but somehow, all the accumulated exhaustion got into me. I was tired, depressed and bored with what I do. I felt horrible. I hoped to God I could just sleep the awful feeling off.
Thursday
I had the audacity to wear a skirt. Why not? I told myself. They would eventually see me in one, anyway. Actually, I wore a skirt so that I can wear a panty hose. Nyahahaha. Of course, I was self-conscious at first but got used to it after 3 hours. 10 minutes before 5 pm, my pantyhose let me down by running. Great, my first ever panty hose experience, an abysmal failure. I went home early and caught my first ever episode of Desperate Housewives. End of story.
Friday
I dropped the news to my officemates that I cant go to tagaytay with them. Family duty calls! Anyway, I wore my pink under dress and pink almost sheer, almost off shoulder, almost second skin shirt and topped the summer kikay ensemble with a sensible black blazer. Can’t afford having all my officemates ogle at my Mt. Mayon. Speaking of that, I had a weird experience that day. While on my way to the office, I was stopped by an insect fluttering around me. It looked like a bee since it was extraordinarily large for a fly. When I gave it an intent look, it happened to be a fly, ahem, two flies in the throes of passion. Yes, they were ahem, making love on top of my left breast. They must have thought it was the love suite of Victoria Court, with its pink sheets and soft cushion. I shooed them away only to be back a second later to continue.
It was a sane day, nothing much to do. I attended my very first staff recognition and I was actually introduced to the “family.” The HR god was there although I felt no kick of affection for him. It seemed that I have my eyes firmly set on only one person, and not seeing him for the entire afternoon made me miss him so badly. I went home early with Madeldel, my officemate/ MRT buddy and did some shopping at circle C. Officially, with all my shopping escapades, I will be officially broke in about uhm, 3 days. Until then, I’ll be splurging on ukay ukay dresses I cant wear, curlashes that would eventually deplete all my eyelashes and undies that nobody (in the near future) would get to see.
No comments:
Post a Comment